Sunday, December 28, 2008

Take Four?

I appreciate all music... depending on mood, surroundings, and dosage, I'll listen to just about anything. Sometimes, it's compelling, like some good singer/songwriter tune that will make you sing along, or it could attract with a train wreck-like quality, like some lo-fi world music recordings from the 50's that somehow broke out of the Library of Congress. Through all the varieties, I appreciate all...

The other day I heard the Dave Brubek jazz classic "Take Five" on the local smooth jazz station... a modern remake by a modern smooth jazz ensemble... and they played the song in 4/4. Isn't part of the original Brubek version's appeal, it's hook, why the record was and still is notable that is had the unusual rhythm of 5/4 (hence, "Take Five")? But these modern cats, they don't take five, only four. Smooth jazzed it right out.

Perhaps another form of gentrification??

1 comment:

  1. Ya know, I have played "Take Five" in Four before and never got the point. I agree, it is in five for a reason. Fucking smooth "jazzers" and their water.

    ReplyDelete